When Do You Need Building Regulations Approval?

If you are thinking about having some sort of building work done at your property, have you stopped for a moment to consider whether the work you want to have carried out requires building regulations approval first?

It all depends on what you want to do. An important thing to point out from the very outset is that planning permission is not the same as building regulations approval – they’re two completely different matters. You may need both, one or the other, or neither of them to complete whatever project it is you have in mind.

Your Local Authority Building Control team will be able to tell you if building regulations approval will be required for your desired project. Click here to find yours.   

As a general rule, a building regulations application will be have to be made for the following projects:

New buildings

  • All new buildings except agricultural buildings
  • Garages that are not fully detached and under 30 square metres


  • All extensions no matter how small
  • Some conservatories and porches (many are exempt but these must be separated from the house by doors and can’t be heated)
  • Roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • Basements and basement extensions


  • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • All garage conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  • Converting flats back into a house


  • Creating a ‘granny annex’
  • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
  • Installing a new kitchen
  • Taking out a loadbearing wall
  • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
  • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower replacement window and door units
  • Installing roof lights
  • Making windows or doors wider or taller
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
  • Replacing your floor


A building regulations application can be completed and submitted via the Building Control Planning Portal. The cost of it will depend on the nature of the work and your local authority.

It can take anything from five weeks to two months to find out if the application has been successful. When you receive the green light, you have three years to start work, after which time you will have to make a new application.


Using Clearview for any work you wish to have done to your home is hugely beneficial as we will help you get building regulations approval when you need it.


Visit your local Clearview Showroom

Everyone is welcome to come in and browse around our Preston showroom in Lancashire, or our Nantwich & Warrington showrooms in Cheshire, where our friendly sales team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.


Want to speak with an advisor? Give us a call on 0800 011 2400

Our friendly team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Back To Our Blog